Bar & Café
The Hatfield Bar, sometimes referred to as ‘The Lion’s Den’ or ‘The Burt Room', is the heart of college. It’s home to cheap drinks and is welcome to all, so much so that many Hatfielders find themselves in it more often than not!
Many people gather here after formals for college songs, and you often get large groups of people singing songs around the Sessions table while on a social.
Having been recently renovated, the bar is undoubtedly the best in the University for the 2018/19 academic year” to “Having been recently renovated, the bar is undoubtedly the one of the best in the University and has in-house entertainment in the form of a pool
table and on-screen entertainment in the form of BT Sports!
We are also very pleased to have a new café and study space that operates in the bar during the daytime. This facility, like the bar, is completely student run and offers cheap hot drinks, cold drinks and snacks to help you study!
No matter the time of day, the bar and cafe is a great location to catch up with friends and to take some time off work.
The Cafe and Bar also is a great opportunity to work in College, and applications open throughout the year. Contact the Bar and Cafe Supervisors or the Facilities Officer to find out more.
This communal kitchen is often home to many amateur chefs and bakers who want to take a break from the outside world. Any Hatfielder can use the kitchen to cook or bake whenever they like, and the space can even be booked for use if you want to hold a baking party!
The Pace Kitchen also plays host to the traditional Hatfield Tea and Toast after formals which is run by the Welfare Team, feel free to drop down between 00:00 to 02:00 for free hot drinks and snacks as well as to catch up with others in College.
Hatfield is home to a couple of the finest gyms in Durham, and are the cause of much envy on behalf of the other colleges. The Timpson Gym is packed with treadmills and bikes where you can really build up your fitness, and the Rosewood Gym is home to a huge variety of machines and free weights that will help build up muscle.
In order to use the gym, you will need to be inducted on the equipment and the gym’s code of conduct. Please contact the Gym Officers or the Facilities Officer to arrange an induction session.
So get down to the gym whenever you can and start living that healthy lifestyle, just don’t forget your gym buddy!
If you ever want to break away from the stress of conversation, the TV room is open 24/7 so you can head down and just zonk out to a film. It’s home to some of the comfiest sofas on the planet and is a great space just to relax and catch up on your Doctor Who, Love Island, or Eastenders.
In the past the TV room has been very popular when The Great British Bake Off is on, with large groups of people getting together to eat cakes and stare longingly into Paul Hollywood’s eyes.
The TV Room also is host to a darts board and table football set which you can use at any time of the day, just sign out darts from the Cafe or Bar!
Are you musically inclined? Whether you are a world class professional musician or a humble beginner, the music room is open to your use. You can book the space for a practice simply by writing your name on a piece of paper!
Home to a drum kit, a piano, a few keyboards, and some guitars to name a few of the things on offer, you can be sure that you can start that university band of your dreams right here in Hatfield.
Please read the new Music Room policy below!
Practising Music in College
Members of College are welcome to use practice-spaces in College to practise music, to dance, for rehearsals, or for similar uses.
College practice-space is available 8.00am –10.00pm.
Please respect others when using College practice-space or when practising in your own room.
College practice-spaces include the Birley Room (with piano), the Music Practice Room (basement of E Stairs), and the Chapel (with piano).
Pianists may also book the Grand Piano in the dining room at the discretion of the College.
To book a practice space, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CONDITIONS OF USE OF THE COLLEGE MUSIC PRACTICE ROOM
- The Music Practice Room (MPR) is only to be used for music activities.
- The MPR should only be used during the permitted hours (8am and 10pm).
- The MPR may only be booked by a Hatfielder who will be using the MPR. Individual users of the MPR should only be from Hatfield College; there must be at least one Hatfielder present in music groups.
- Hatfielders should not lend their campus card to students from another college to book or use the MPR.
- Users should sign up to use the MPR, by writing their full nameson the sign-up sheet displayed in the Hatfield College Porters’Lodge. If a user has booked the MPR, the user must use the MPR for the time reserved. College members may use the MPR without booking until the person who has booked use of the MPR has appeared.
- The MPR must not be booked for more than 5 hoursby the same person in one week. Exceptions, such as recital preparations or an extra rehearsal needed, can be agreed by a College Officer, Hatfield Facilities (email@example.com) or the Creative Rep (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Users must exchange their campus card for the key to the MPR at the Porters’Lodge, and then collect their campus cards on departure. Keys must be handed back into the Porters’Lodge and not handed over to the next user.
- Users who wish to use their own electrical equipment in the MPR must demonstrate that the equipment is safe to use; the equipment should have a Portable Appliance Test Certificate. (Enquire with the Operations’Manager if the equipment does not have such a certificate.) The user will be personally liable for any loss or damage incurred by the use of faulty equipment brought into the MPR.
- Eating and drinking (except water) are not permitted in the MPR. Smoking is not permitted anywhere in College.
- Users must not remove or borrow any music equipment from the MPR without permission. In certain circumstances, equipment may be borrowed for events, such as tours. However, interested parties should first email the Facilities Officer email@example.com the Creative Rep at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Kinky Jeff President (email@example.com) should be contacted if the equipment belongs to the band.
- Users must not attempt to tamper with, destroy or damage any of the equipment or facilities in the MPR.
- At the end of the booking, users must leave the MPR tidy and remove belongings (including any equipment or instruments, scores or other papers) brought into the MPR.
- At the end of each booking, by signing and returning the key, users are certifying that the MPR has been left in a satisfactory condition and that there has been no damage or any equipment removed. The MPR should be left in the same condition that it was at the start of the booking.
- If users find the MPR to be untidy or any evidence of damage, they must report this to the Porters’Lodge at the start of their session.
- Users are asked to report any damages or faults in the MPR to the porters
- Users are asked to report any technical problems to the Hatfield JCR Facilities’Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you need to get some work done and your laptop just isn’t cutting it you can always use one of the university’s computers. The Computer Room also houses a printer which you can use to print lectures notes or to print off that summative! This room is open 24/7 so is perfect for those summatives that you definitely did weeks before the deadline…
You’ll never guess what they keep in this room – books! Hatfield Library is easily one of the most well stocked in the University, and better yet if they don’t have the book you’re looking for you can request that the Hatfield Trust add it to the collection.
As you can imagine, pretty much everyone studying needs to grab a book at some point so the library being available 24/7 right on your doorstep is a life-saver!
Finally, there are a couple of rooms in college dedicated just for work (I know, how boring!). These rooms are filled with isolated desks so you can really knuckle down when exam season rolls in, and yes they are of course open 24/7.
If you wish to use JCR Facilities for any organised event or require support from our Tech team both on-site and off-site, please notify me at least 48 hours before the event!